Monday, January 10, 2011

Hot Chicken Salad

Tonight's dish was page 147, Hot Chicken Salad.  You can tell by the picture that I was so hungry tonight that I dug in before I remembered to take the picture.  At the bottom of my grandma's recipe it says 'very good' and I would have to agree.  The Hot Chicken Salad mostly contains; chicken, mayonnaise, chopped celery, fried eggs, cream of chicken soup topped with cheese, nuts, and potato chips. The recipe also called for pimentos, which I left out. 2 reasons, 1 they did not sound good to me and 2 I could not find them at Aldi.  Tonight I added Pam spray to my kitchen's arsenal and lemon juice. I guess little by little I will make strides toward being more like a normal kitchen during this project.
Next time I make the Hot Chicken Salad, I will probably leave out the chopped nuts. I used peanuts, and it was a little much for my taste. It could be better with a different nut.
Last weeks Chicken Tetrazzini lasted all week for me, so I imagine this casserole will stick around in my fridge this week. If the snow comes and I get snowed in, I'll have more than cereal to eat. I didn't make a big dent in the egg casserole before it got thrown away. That's definitely more of a dish for a group rather than a single guy.
I was originally going to make the Chicken and Rice Casserole tonight, but once i realized it takes 2 hours in the oven instead of 20 to 25 minutes like this dish, i realized that's going to have to wait for a weekend.

2 comments:

  1. yum yum... can you send a sample of this to Lex?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like another heart healthy recipe!

    ReplyDelete