Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tunna Casserole & Pecan Pie


It was a big night for me; knocking off three recipes in Grandma's book. Dinner tonight was Tuna Casserole (page 167).  As Grandma noted in the bottom of the recipe, this is a "real quickie."  I used all of the listed ingredients in this recipe, which is four (cracker crumbs, can of tuna, can of cream of celery soup, and 2 eggs).  All you have to do it mix it together and put it in the oven.  The recipe says to bake it in a loaf pan but I don't have one, so I used my casserole dish. All in all, it tastes like the ingredients...simple.  I would make it again sometime.  The cookbook says if you make it with peas and a gelatin salad, you have a complete meal.  If there are any readers out there that still make gelatin salads, feel free to try it out.. I won't.


For desert tonight I made a Pecan Pie (page 180) with a homemade Pie Crust (page 191). I've actually made a pie crust before for my Thanksgiving pumpkin pies, but this recipe was much more simple than the recipe I use. There was no shortening or butter in the crust, only flour, oil, salt, milk and sugar. Simple.  The pie was also simple. Mix eggs, dark corn syrup, sugar, and butter. Put the pecans in the crust and pour the mixture on top.  The only things I would do differently next time would be to watch it closer so the crust doesn't get as brown and remember to serve with whipped cream.  I can't imagine the 1/8th of a teaspoon of salt in the recipe makes a difference in the taste....

Also, if you are looking for Wheat Germ at Wal-Mart, it is located in the cereal isle next to the syrups... Who knew.... I have been typing this post while watching The Music Man, version with Matthew Broderick... He can't sell his role. Kind of painful to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment